Earlier this month I drove up to Orlando for a quick trip to meet my brother, his wife, and their kids at Magic Kingdom. We spend the whole day hopping from line to line, attraction to attraction, simply having a great time. It is truly magical how Disneyworld can make anyone who walks through those gates shrink into a 12-year-old boy or girl again.
At the end of the day, I was exhausted but so happy and grateful for the opportunity to see a magic world through the eyes of my nephew and niece.
Playing hooky for a day was special and it made me want to write about the importance of rest and time off.
Have you ever felt so exhausted that all you needed was some time off and away from the world?
But have you ever STILL felt exhausted, even after good rest? We wrongly think that “rest” means “sleep,” when in fact, there is more to it than that. So says Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith, author of “Sacred Rest: Recover Your Life, Renew Your Energy, Restore Your Sanity.” She says humans need seven kinds of rest:
1. Physical. In addition to sleeping enough, take breaks throughout the day with deep breathing or yoga.
2. Mental. You are working too hard. You cannot focus. Well, unplug from your screens and meditate, or get away from other stresses on your brain.
3. Social. Are you spending too much time on idle chatter with strangers? Or maybe it is been too long since a heart-to-heart with a true-blue friend.
4. Creative. We all use creative juices, even if we do not think of ourselves as particularly creative. Replenish with inspiration from art, books, and other sources.
5. Emotional. Talk to someone regularly about your feelings – friend, therapist, etc.
6. Spiritual. This could mean going to worship services more, but it also might mean you need to examine your purpose or volunteer to help others.
7. Sensory. Turn off your phones, computers, and other gadgets. Focus on real-life relationships, fresh air, and a nice walk, instead.
Make sure you are getting all the rest you need and deserve. Maybe playing hooky now and then is not a bad idea after all.
Call or e-mail us today to schedule a complimentary consultation to get your body moving, feeling, and looking great!
See you soon.