How Fitness Helps You Do What You Want
What is on your “Bucket List”?
- Do you want to see your kids or grandkids get married?
- Do you want to wear a dress or a pair of pants you wore years ago but have outgrown?
- Maybe you want to climb a local hill – or Mount Kilimanjaro.
We all have a list with items like these on it. The “Bucket List” idea is a fun way to make plans or just daydream. And it does not matter what you are planning to tackle: Being fit will help you do it.
Let’s look at common reasons people over 50 decide to get fit or stay fit. What does each one inspire you to do? How can strength, endurance, and agility make those aspirations come true?
- Grandkids. Nobody wants to be the “boring grandpa/grandma,” right? Millions of today’s grandparents play active roles in their grandkids’ lives. Bucket List Item: That can be as simple as getting on the floor to play – and then being able to get back up again.
- Feel, Look and Move Better. Most of us want the benefits of exercise more than we want long hours in the gym. Exercise improves your mood, your appearance, and your mobility. Bucket List Item: You want to look great at your high school reunion.
- Hobbies. Gardening and hiking are just two of the physically demanding hobbies that people enjoy and want to continue, regardless of age. Bucket List Item: Take a ballroom dance course to dazzle your partner.
- Sports. Some people go to the gym because they like to work out. But for many, it helps them keep doing something else they love. Bucket List Item: Play 18 holes at every course in the country, or master your backhand at the tennis court.
- Travel. The pandemic really will be over one day. And when it is, you want to resume checking off the places you have always wanted to visit. Bucket List Item: Take a bike trip through the wine country in Italy.
- Mental Health. You might know that exercise is good for your body. But did you realize it is also great for your mind, helping to build memory and ward off cognitive decline? Bucket List Item: You want to win Trivial Pursuit with your younger family members.
- Physical Health. Did you hear about the real “wonder drug” to help keep your body healthy? It is called exercise! Fitness even helps us recover from setbacks such as common surgeries and illnesses. Bucket List Item: You want your doctor to take you off certain medications.
It does not matter what you want to do – or whether some people think you are boring or too adventurous. It is our job to help you get fit or stay fit so you can live life on your own terms for as long as you want.
Show us your bucket list and let’s get to work on it.